WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More Berries (And Other Awesomeness)

Ben's lovely father gave us eight wineberry plants over the weekend.  He grows a ton of them at his house and dug some up for us.  The plants are incredibly healthy and begging to be put back into the earth.  So now we've got raspberries, blueberries, elderberries, strawberries, and wineberries.  Me thinks I'll be making some jam some day.
All of the elderberries, strawberries, and raspberries that I've recently transplanted are doing very well.  We've had a lot of rain and mild temperatures, which have helped a lot.

Wineberry plant

 Variegated elderberry

Emerald Lace elderberry

Thundercloud elderberry

Raspberry cane

The blueberries are almost in bloom.

The blueberry field on a cloudy day

Strawberry plant

Our free Seeds of Change order arrived yesterday!  One-hundred lovely packets.  There were many duplicates (especially of broccoli, summer savory, and sweet peppers), but great variety overall.
I won't list them all, but we received corn, tomatoes, squash, melons, herbs galore, flowers, eggplant, cucumbers, beets, greens, lettuce, carrots, and a boatload of other stuff.  I couldn't be happier.  I'll be planting the majority of these seeds this fall and next spring.  I've already got too much going on the kitchen garden side of things to throw in all this new jazz.

One-hundred beautifully-free seed packets

 Along with some late tomatoes, I did start a few of the Seeds of Change seeds today (sage, sweet basil, summer savory, and marigolds).

We have two more weeks until the coop needs to be chicken-ready, and we're almost there.  I need to finish painting, and  Ben just has a little more work to do on their fence.  The girls are doing well, and the dogs are beginning to accept the fact that they're here to stay.

It's too wet outside with a chance of rain today, so this project is now on hold.

 We had our first home-grown salad of the year last night!  I used our lettuce, arugula, and spinach.

 Lovely lettuce bed, mulched with grass clippings


2 comments:

  1. I actually signed up for the SOC give away from your blog. I only got the 25 packs. But I ended up with 5 new types of tomatoes in my box. That is on top of my regularly started tomatoes. So now, because of your blog ;), I am going to have a million tomato plants and need to dig up another bed. I just can't say no to tomatoes. I got late blight the last two years in a row and the harvest got cut short. If you have a million tomatoes, some have to make it, right:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got free seeds! They went fast. I think we only got two or three varieties of tomatoes. I've already started five different varieties, and I really wanted to use up all the tomato seeds we bought this year. So, I'm going to hold off on using our free tomato seeds.

    ReplyDelete