WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Homage to the Iris

The woman who owned this house before we bought it must have LOVED irises.  There are several hundred all around the yard.  We moved in last June, so I haven't gotten a chance to see them in bloom until now.  




When they began blooming I initially thought that we only had purple irises.  However, the yellow and white irises have just begun to bloom.  I'm in love with them all.



I had to move over a hundred rhizomes last summer in order to make room for the herb garden.  I'm so glad that I didn't let one iris die.  I safely transplanted each one that was removed. It's been a pleasure to finally see all the different colors that were hiding inside.

3 comments:

  1. Those irises are beautiful! It's like Van Gogh's painting right there in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot damn those rock! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had the pleasure of growing irises before. There is at least one more type of iris growing that hasn't bloomed yet. I'll post pics when they open up.

    ReplyDelete