WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Friday, April 8, 2011

Chicken Feet on Grass

The high was 80 degrees yesterday, so I thought I'd give the little critters a chance to bask in the sun.  I built them a playpen of chicken wire, secured it with sod staples, and covered the top with wildlife netting.  We have a lot of resident hawks that cruise our property all day, so I also stayed outside with them the entire time.  The chicks huddled up in what I call their "mound of fear" for a while.  I guess that's to be expected - they had never felt the grass under feet before.  It took a good hour for them to adjust to the shock, but they had a good time.


The Hen House is almost ready!  I've finished putting on the primer/sealer and one coat of paint.  I just have to paint one more coat and do the detailed trim work.  Ben will finish fencing-in their yard in a week or two.  I'm working on a big "Work in Progress" post for the Hen House, so I can show each step of the way.

3 comments:

  1. Good looking chicks. I see some good fresh eggs in someone's future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our little chicks got to feel grass under their feet today too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting that it's almost ready! It was nice here too. All animals (and people) were grateful and happy! :)

    ReplyDelete