WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Friday, April 15, 2011

Kitchen Garden and Hen House Happenings

We've made a lot of progress on the Hen House.  I'm finished with my part of the painting.  I just need Ben to paint the very tippy-top of the front side (he's 6' 3").  Our colors are "Pearl" and "Sauteed Mushroom."

Side view, shutters closed

Shutters open


Back side, chicken door closed

Chicken door open

Front view, almost done

 Interior


The chicks got to stretch their legs for a few hours today.

They're in that awkward stage.

We have a lot growing in the kitchen garden, but it's about to EXPLODE next week.  Stayed tuned.

Our garlic is thriving.

 Spinach is doin' it.

Arugula, my favorite.

The beets are happy.

 Every time I think I'm finished thinning the carrots, more pop up.

 I can't wait to taste the first strawberry.

 I finally got the wineberries in the ground.

Amish snap peas have finally grasped the fence.

Wineberry row.  Support system to follow.

Let's see what's headed for the kitchen garden.

 Eggplant

A sea of tomatoes

 The peppers are growing up.

 Pesto?

 Sweet delicate thyme

 All the squashes and melons are saying "hello" to the world.  This is a Waltham Butternut.

 Our last frost date is April 18th.  I have a lot to transplant during the next two weeks.  At the top of my list are artichokes, a gazillion flowers and tomatoes.  I'll also be sowing sunflowers and corn.  Happy planting!

4 comments:

  1. That coop is super cute! Love the little silouettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that coop is...ADORABLE!!!! I am jealous! Man, mines looking like a prissy dog house in comparison. No really, you have done a superb job! {and I really am jealous.lol}
    No fair on showing all the green growth. Ohio has been sporadic I have not had a chance to sow the sugar snaps-finally finished doing our winter rye cover crop tilling.
    So glad I stopped in. I rather like it here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that chicken coop. The stencils just make it perfect. Will you build me one. Pretty please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I can't take all the credit. Ben did all the construction. I just helped hold things in place and painted the thing.

    ReplyDelete