WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Gorgeous, But Not What I'm Looking For

Ben started a few artichokes in the greenhouse last summer.  I think they were Imperial Star.  He had a lot on his plate at the time and had to bear the full responsibility of all farm projects until I arrived in June.  Needless to say, he didn't have quite enough time to nurture and coddle these finicky creatures just so.  Although we never got any chokes out of the process, beautiful blooms developed.  I would definitely grow these plants just for their blooms and foliage (and I've started so many that I'll probably plant some in the front yard for that very reason), but I do hope we get some eating out of them this year.

Artichoke bloom, 2010

We've started Imperial Star, Green Globe, and Purple of Romanga this year.  I hope that out of these three, I can find a variety that suites this region.  We have a nice-sized hoop house that we will put over them (and the eggplants) to keep the insects down (that was a major issue last year) and protect them during the winter.  I will also dig some up and store them in the basement over winter to see if that method works any better.  I have a lot of seedlings to work with, so this is a great opportunity for experimentation.  I found this article helpful, although I did not consult it before embarking on this season's artichoke attempt

Artichoke babies, 2011

It's raining today, tomorrow, and the next day.  I'll be limited to indoor and greenhouse activities.  Bummer.  I'd like to start some melons and winter squash in the greenhouse soon (very controversial, I know), but I don't know if I should wait until this gray weather passes.  I want to start them indoors instead of direct-seeding because I think I can make better use of garden space this way.  Also, I think they'll do just fine if I use the Pot Maker.  With the Pot Maker, I can either just put the whole thing in the ground (like a Jiffy Pot), or gently peel away the newspaper without disturbing the roots.  Cabin fever will probably push me to go ahead with it.  I can always plant more if they don't do so well.

By the way, EVERYTHING survived the snow!  I knew there was no reason for a full-on freak-out.

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog and really enjoyed it. I've added you to my blog list that I follow. That is the first artichoke bloom I've every seen and it is just like you said gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete