WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Our Chicks are Here! (The Perfect Morning)

Ben and I were eating leftover salmon and bagels with cream cheese for breakfast (part of the "perfect morning") when the phone rang.  The woman on the other end said, "This is your post office, and we've got your babies."  Her voice was sweet and very southern.  I rushed to get dressed, fed the boys, and off we went.
The girls came with straw and a heating pad.

All twelve black australorps arrived alive and well.  They were LOUD, but the sound was like music to my ears.  They probably hatched on Monday and were sent out either that same day or on Tuesday.  My Pet Chicken did a great job getting our babies here safe and sound.
The little ladies started eating and drinking within a few minutes.

I had to make a revision to our set up.  As I was reviewing all my baby chick information yesterday, I realized that it was a big mistake putting down cedar chips for bedding.  The fumes from the oils in the cedar chips can irritate their lungs and cause problems as they grow up.  Easy enough to fix.  I removed the chips and added some straw.  
Now we have to think of some names.  I don't know that we'll ever to be able to tell them all apart (though I sure will try), but they are now part of the family and need names.  The rules are: no "Blackie," no "Ebony," no "Onyx," no "Midnight,"....  You get the point.
 
After I got the girls settled in, I took the boys for a walk in the fog.  It was beautiful.  Come along.
Can we go now?
 These cows don't belong to us.  They just graze some of the pastures here on the farm.

It's been raining all week.  But after the fog cleared, the sun came out to greet us. 
 The lilacs are beginning to open.
These cows arrived recently.  The last batch has been sent off to wherever cows go after winter (I don't like to think too much about their fate.  We don't eat furry or feathered critters.)  These lovely fellows are very curious.  They're lined up at the fence in front of our house, saying hello to me and Miles.
We have three Forsythia bushes at the house, but this one is my favorite.  It's the smallest one, but it's got a lot of spunk.

The morning was glorious.  We'll see what the rest of the day brings.

4 comments:

  1. The pictures in the fog are beautiful. The peeps are so cute, and we don't eat any critters either. But what do the boys say about the new roommates? Some things are just so hard to resist. I still can only have one group of critters in the yard at one time, fowl or canine, never both. I so admire those with pacifist dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane! The peeps are in our "multi-purpose" room, behind a secured door. They'll have their very own yard, safe from the boys. Miles was allowed to say hello today, and he was very eager/curious. I have dreams of training Thurgood to balance a chick on his head, but I don't think that's too realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We introduced our dogs to the chicks from the first day. We brought them in one at a time, made them sit, and let them take a closer look. They continued to check on them everyday but have never hurt them. In fact, sometimes our oldest golden will round them up gently and herd them back to the pen when they are out free ranging. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a great idea. We'll start introducing the boys to them soon. I wanted the girls to get comfortable first. Miles had another interaction today that went well. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete