WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Monday, March 28, 2011

Greenhouse Haiku


When it is snowing
I can always count on you
To be warm inside

I wasn't going to write today.  I had it in my mind that if I dodn't upload it, then it never happened.  I had awakened to the first (and I hope the only) spring snow.  But I changed my mind after a trip with Miles up to the greenhouse.  That place is always full of inspiration, and it just makes me feel good.  Here are some of the highlights:

My big, strong heirloom tomatoes

The artichokes have come out of their cold treatment and are happy to be back in the greenhouse.

I love this Ruby Moon hyacinth bean.

The eggplants are alive and well.

Hops

This nasturtium popped up over the weekend.

The parsley will be ready to set out soon.

I'm a firm believer that you can never grow too much basil.  I've got about fifty seedlings going.

Baby thyme

The poppies are doing a lot better than I had expected.

Get a load of these blueberries!

 
So while things are all hunky-dory in the greenhouse, let's take a look outside.


As I write this, the snow has stopped falling and it's already beginning to melt.  Yes!  It isn't too awfully cold out, and I'm not really worried about the greens and root vegetables in the kitchen garden.  Things are often more resilient than we think.  If they to subcome to the harsh weather, I'll just have to sow some more.  I love sowing seeds, I'll shed no tears.  The asparagus and blueberries are going to be alright.  This snow is just a minor annoyance.

Back inside, the girls are doing well.  It's so hard to get a good picture of them.  They're always fluttering about when I enter their room, and the red heat lamp doesn't help.  In addition to "Judith," "Iris," and "Eunice," we now have a "Big Beulah," and "Large Marge."  Big Beulah and Large Marge are the big bosses.  They're also loudmouths.  I admire their spunk and attitude.

4 comments:

  1. It is so miserably cold, the greenhouse is the only place I can go to get warm. Do you heat yours? Your plants look wonderful. I think I would need to sample that basil, just to be sure ;) I love me some basil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! We heat the greenhouse as-needed. It gives it that extra little boost that can make a big difference for the seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I long for a greenhouse. I just love to see those seedlings when there's sill snow outside.
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing your plants in the greenhouse makes me happy. And makes me think we should probably start thinking about planting something too!

    ReplyDelete