WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Monday, March 7, 2011

Greenhouse Update (Oh, Joy!)

I have very exciting news!  The blueberry whips that I stuck in peat moss last week are alive and kicking! The leaf buds on almost every single little stick are swelling nicely after just six days, but they have a very long way to go.  Even after they leaf-out, the roots won't start to develop for another several weeks or a few months.  But I am very optimistic.  They seem to like it in the greenhouse, and the peat moss/sand mixture holds moisture well without getting too soggy.  I'll be pleased if we get just 50 successful plants out of the of 260 we started.

The hops are growing quickly.  The Nugget hops are huge compared to the others.  At this stage of growth, I can see differences between all the varieties that are not apparent during later parts of the season.  Right now, the Nuggets are the most beautiful shade of  purpley-beet red.
Nugget Hops

Willamette Hops

Cascade Hops

Lettuce:
Happy and smiling.  Just a few more weeks until the salad days begin.

Tomatoes:
Still small, but thriving.

Artichokes:
Low germination rate?  Whatchu talkin'bout?

Miles Giles guards the orange tree against peasant intruders.

Can you beat that view?

There are a ton of other things going on in the greenhouse.  See the side bar for a complete list.
Happy growing!

1 comment:

  1. You have a greenhouse?! That is awesome!!! :)

    My tomatoes look similar to yours... but I have not had much success with lettuce yet. And I do want to grow blueberries! :)

    I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete