WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Friday, March 25, 2011

The Grand Asparagus Post

Dear Walker Plants (formerly Walker Brothers),
We ordered another five-hundred asparagus crowns from you this spring.  You told us that they would be shipped out on the 21st.  You shipped them out on the 22nd.  You told us we would recieve them on the 22nd.  We recieved them on the24th.  But I ain't mad atcha.  You sent us about fifty extra crowns, and they arrived in great condition.  Nobody's perfect.

Sincerely,
Fat Bear Farm

No, I didn't send the above letter, but maybe I will.  I was so anxious to start planting that I got a  little nervous when things didn't go exactly according to plan.  I'm starting to think that tracking packages online isn't such a good idea.  I found myself checking every few hours to see if the box had left NJ, then MD, then Roanoke.  In the end, everything was fine.

These are the prepared trenches with crowns all lined up.  Notice the rocks?  I have plans for them.

Here is one of the smaller crowns.  We planted Jersey Knight.

 I hoed one side of the soil into the trench, then topped off the middle with manure.  Later, I knocked the other side of the soil into the middle.

This is our tried and true method to keep weeds at bay.  Last year we rototilled the pathways, but no need to do that this year because the weeds and grass aren't so extreme.  I put down a layer of cardboard.

 On top of the cardboard goes a layer of straw.  I would normally water it down (and water in the crowns) at this point to keep the straw from blowing away, but the wind was low and it's supposed to rain starting tonight for three days straight.

Last year, we filled the trenches bit by bit (a few inches at a time) as most sources suggest.  We also dug the trenches about one foot deep.  It took forever, and we didn't get to mulch until fall.  We ended up with a ton of weeds because we waited so long to mulch.  We went a different route this time.  I went ahead and covered the crowns with about four to six inches of soil and manure.  They should have no problem coming up through that.  I will go through in a few weeks and add more manure.  If some crowns look like they need to be buried deeper, I'll add more manure accordingly.  I've read that research shows (too bad I didn't keep track of my sources) that this method will be fine.  Planting was about two-hundred times easier this year than it was last year.  I'm thrilled.
We depend on the ABC store for our cardboard.  They're a dependable supplier, and they love it when Ben comes to pick up the boxes so that they don't have to deal with them.  We still need several hundred more boxes, so I'll be mulching throughout the next few weeks.  No biggie.

...And those rocks
I gathered the rocks from the field.   I got two loads!  *Note to self: learn more about geology.

So I could finally put a boarder around the not-so-circular herb circle.

I added chicken manure and a ton of leaves to this bed last fall, and I put down some well-rotted horse manure late in the winter.  It still needs a lot of work.  I'm going to add some more rotted manure this spring and mulch it well after all the herbs are in   This herb circle is one of my favorite projects right now.  When I get to start painting the hen house in about a week, that will also be a favorite project.  The girls are growing fast.  Must take more pictures of them.

2 comments: