WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Friday, February 25, 2011

After the Rain

We had the perfect rain.  It was more than a drizzle without ever turning into a downpour, and it lasted almost twenty-four hours.  I took the boys on an extra-long walk this morning to investigate.

It was a beautiful morning for the blueberries.

Some of the pea seeds needed to be put back in their place.  I had planted them an inch deep and pressed them in pretty well because this very thing seems to always happen.   A few of the buggers decided they wanted to work their way up to the top, so to speak.  I showed them who's boss.

I don't know what this is, but it's the first to bloom at Fat Bear Farmhouse.  She's growing just outside of the rock border in one of the front yard gardens.

I think this is an ornamental cherry (there are no other cherry-look-a-likes on the property for to pollinate).  Anyway, we'll find out this spring.  There will probably be lots of surprises this spring.  Because we moved to this property in June, we've yet to see all of spring's bounty.

The daffodils are doing their happy dance.

I had a great time in the greenhouse today.  I decided to plant a few back-ups.  It can get really cold in there at night, even with the heat on .  Everything has been fine so far, but some things are germinating more slowly than I'd like.  Also, if there's a crazy disaster and the heater gives out, I don't want to be without my early tomatoes and peppers.  So I'll be putting today's new seedlings under lights in the grow room (it's our extra bedroom that we also use to ferment beer and everything else that needs a space, like our soon-to-arrive chicks) at home.  Just in case.
I so love my Pot Maker. 

Planting party

 Little salad babies

High technology set-up

We have several piles of poo and compost rotting away at the farm.  This lovely lot is the most pampered, and all our work is paying off.  The compost is finally heating up again!  We've been turning is religiously and watering when necessary.  I think this rain will give it a great boost.
 From left to right: goat poo from the neighbor up the road, chicken poo, and kitchen scraps

  Rain clouds departing

2 comments:

  1. oooh! Your mystery flower might be a phlox. There are actually several different types of phlox. I have photos of two different ones (way down): http://northmidwest.blogspot.com/2009/05/secret-garden-chapter-one.html
    I think phlox is one of my favorite flowers.

    Our compost bins are like twins! Twin...compost bins. We built ours out of pallets too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about the phlox. It came to me a few days ago that that's what it is!

    ReplyDelete