WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Monday, March 21, 2011

Everything at Once

It's getting busy on Fat Bear Farm.  It seems as though everything is happening at once.  We have a lot of projects that are up and running, and spring has come on in full force.  Here's a just a sample of what's brewing.

Asparagus
Five-hundred asparagus crowns are scheduled for arrival tomorrow.  We ordered them from Walker Brothers.  I'm pleased with their customer service, and the crowns we ordered from them last year were really nice.
The first spear from last year's planting popped up yesterday.

 I love this thing.

Ben took the tractor through last weekend.  He tilled, then used the sub soiler.  I went through with a hoe today and deepened the furrows a bit. 
I hope the crowns arrive early tomorrow because I'm super-ready to plant them.

Chickens
Look at me Mom!

The chicks are doing well.  They're one week old today.  We've named three of them so far.  We now have a Judith (Judy), a Eunice, and an Iris.  I can tell them apart by the patterns on their beaks, and Iris is the runt.
The door just needs a handle.  We'll have to choose and extra-special one.

Their house is almost ready.  Ben still has a few more finishing touches to add before I paint.  The roosts are up, and the nesting boxes are done.  I hope the ladies like it!

Greenhouse
An heirloom tomato

The blueberry whips I started are leafing out.  I'm surprised at their rate of development.

Kitchen Garden
Snap peas, beets, carrots, spinach, kale, lettuce, and arugula are currently growing in the garden.  Here are some highlights:
Pea shoots

 Lettuce
 
The prettiest of all lettuces

One lovely beet
I should have a lot to share with you about the asparagus this week, and stay tuned for an update on the blueberries!

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE the chicks. And the coop - what a great home for them!! Oh....I dream of my asparagus coming up. I can't wait. For now I'll enjoy your photos and dream of grilled asparagus, asparagus frittata, roasted asparagus with parmesan.........
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Don't forget asparagus quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little afraid my asparagus might not have made it. I see no sign of it. But maybe it is a little early here. The coop looks good. I am sure they will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only that one spear has come up. I think it's just an early riser. I bet your asparagus will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete