WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Still Going Strong: Summer's Hangers-On

The kitchen garden no longer looks like this:



Gone are the squash, sweet corn, and melons.  But a few summer favorites are still around.  This post is in appreciation of all those hot-weather plants that have yet to say goodbye.


Dear Eggplant,
We've come a long way together.  We fought and won two major flea beetle invasions, and I think we are both stronger from that epic battle.  You've given us countless meals this summer, and I can't thank you enough for that.  The eggplant parmesan pizza was incredible!  We will soon say goodbye, but don't worry, you won't be gone for long.  I'll be sowing your seeds again in just six months, and you'll be coming back ten times over.  We're putting up a mini-high tunnel for you!  You'll have a warmer home, not quite so exposed to flea beetles.  The weather will be warmer under the tunnel, so you can come out earlier, and hopefully, you'll stay longer.  We will miss you terribly this winter, as you are neither pickled nor frozen.
Pingtung Long eggplant this week.


Dear Peppers,
Your persistence is amazing.  You have real stick-to-itiveness!  I am particularly looking forward to enjoying the roasted reds I have waiting in the freezer.  Also, the chili powder from the Anchos will be great for all the veggie chili I'll make this winter.  It's been a good run.
They're still ripening beautifully.

This week's pepper harvest.


Dear Tomatoes,
After the first blight, I thought I had lost you forever.  I was wrong.  You came back for rounds two and three.  I'm so happy you're still in my life for fresh eating daily, but you will also be joining us at the table throughout the cold months as frozen and canned delights. A sincere thanks to you all (Black Sea Man, Black Plum Paste, Moonglow, Persimmon, Red Brandywine, Speckled Roman, Wisconsin 55, and Mystery Compost Pile tomatoes).
Some of the latest tomatoes; Mystery Compost Pile in the background, Black Plum Paste in the foreground.

It's a joy to have our fall garden in the ground while summer's plants are still feeding us.  I can't remember a time when we've run out of veggies around here.  

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! It is so sad looking outside and not seeing rainbow colors coming out of your garden. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was going to say the same as garden girl - loved it!

    ReplyDelete