WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chicken World Today

We've been given our first blue egg thanks to Paulie, Stevie, or Alex.  I'm not sure which Ameraucana has started laying, but Ben says he believes it's Stevie.

A blue (That is blue, right?  Looks sorta greenish.) Ameraucana egg and a brown Wyandotte or Australorp egg.

Paulie, front and center.

The Ameraucanas and Wyandottes are the same age, so I guess it is also possible that the Wyandottes are laying, too.  It's hard to tell because we'll get brown eggs from both the Wyandottes and the Australorps.

Precious.

We have three Golden-Laced Wyandotte hens, three Ameraucana hens, and ten surviving Australorp hens.  Our rooster, Robert, is an Ameraucana.  Right now, we're getting one to three eggs per day.  I'm hoping that one day soon that number will rise to an even dozen.

Robert Rooster

I love Robert.  He is the best rooster I could ever dream of having.  He's got a great attitude and a lot of character.  His crow is so righteous that it demands an "Amen, brother!" in response.  I love Robert.

Preciouses

Robert is performing all of his duties; he welcomes the morning, afternoon, and evening with his musical greeting, he loves his ladies right, and he generally keeps everyone on their toes.

Where deposites are made.

The girls have been religiously laying their eggs in the next boxes.  I'm so glad we don't have to go searching high and low for eggs every day.  Each box has been used, and the eggs stay clean and safe until we can collect them.  It's almost too easy.

We had figs for snack time today.


I don't know what we did before we had chickens.  They've been in our lives for six months now, and I don't remember what things were like without them.  Just as I know I'll always have dogs in my life, I hope we will never be without a backyard flock of chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment