WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Spilt Milk: A Tomato Report

We got the blight.  SO disappointing, but I'm not crying about it.  The first and second plantings came down with it, so we pulled up the thirty or so plants and sucked back our tears.  I had just recently put in fifteen new plants along the fence, so I'm hoping we can save those with a good dose of copper spray.




The day we said goodbye to our plants, I was able to harvest 80 pounds of tomatoes off of them (only half of them ripe).  Again, I'm not crying about it.


Amongst the tomatoes that blighted-out were Black Sea Man, Persimmon, Moonglow, Red Brandywine, and Speckled Roman.  Of the five varieties, my favorites for flavor are Black Sea Man and Persimmon.  However, Black Sea Man was the first to blight and produced the least.  Persimmon is a great producer, and oh so sweet.  Speckled Roman are great paste tomatoes.  Ben says his flavor-favorite is Red Brandywine.

Black Sea Man

So far, the total 2011 tomato harvest is at 159.25 lbs., and that number will not be changing any time soon.  I've started 12 more plants in the greenhouse, hoping to get some super-late maters.  We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you to got the blight. It seems to be getting everyone this year. This will be my 3rd year in a row. It breaks your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. My German Red Strawberry (Heirloom)and Abe Linclon in my raised bed are getting zapped. I haven't pulled them just yet. Hoping for a bit more ripening. I have these same tomatoes in another part of the garden and they're still OK (for now).

    ReplyDelete