WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Thursday, September 22, 2011

We Have a New Record


The girls took a vacation yesterday and left us high and dry.  But they made up for it today!  Five of our chickens went to work and left us with some beautiful eggs.  Thank you, ladies.

The girls had been laying two to four (usually three) eggs a day up until now.  We've never been given more than four in one day until today.  Ben and I have been able to enjoy the fruits of our flock's loins for breakfast most days, but I really want to be able to give them to friends and family.  Once everyone starts spending a little time in the nesting boxes, we'll be able to spread the love.

I treated the chickens to the rest of the bread I made Monday night and a little tomato.  I don't think I'll ever grow tired of watching them pig-out on kitchen scraps.  Last night, Ben and I learned that they prefer white potatoes over sweet potatoes.  These birds refuse to be boxed in.  They're just full of surprises.

For us, the coop really is our "chicken tv."  We don't have a tv in the house and don't miss it. (Except during college football season; Ben misses it then.)  And now that the hens are beginning to lay and the rooster is doing as roosters do, this chicken tv channel is getting very interesting.

This morning, I watched as three Australorps defended one another from the advances of Robert Rooster.  He's always so randy in the morning.  He finally got lucky when two of the three went inside the coop for a bite to eat and left the third in the yard on her own.

Robert is still a growing boy, so some of the larger hens have no trouble fending him off.  Lucky for him that some of the hens don't seem to mind all the neck-biting and  air-humping involved in chicken love (especially Paulie). 

Paulie

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!!! I have always wanted chickens, but there are coyotes in the woods behind my house. :( But I guess I can settle with reading about your chickens. :D I love that last picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Garden Girl! There are coyotes living all around us, too. Better yet, we have a lot of hawks and some foxes, also. So far, so good. I also worry about raccoons, opossums....

    ReplyDelete