WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Small Victories: I'll Take Them All!

Small Victory 1
We have one artichoke.  It's tiny, but I'm happy.  I hadn't expected any of the plants to fruit this year.  I'll overwinter at least five of the artichokes, and maybe we'll get more chokes next year.


Small Victory 2
The first pumpkin has ripened.  It's a little pie pumpkin and has a hole eaten through it.  The rest of the pumpkins look a lot better, and they're larger.  The chickens will get pumpkin #1.

The First 

 Another pie pumpkin.

Young's Beauty pumpkin

Small Victory 3
The early tomatoes all blighted-out, but the late plants are doing great.  I planted a dozen Black Plum Paste and transplanted five volunteer plants.  They've begun flowering, so I think we will get another tomato crop before it freezes!

Late tomatoes

I can feel autumn creeping up on me when I'm in the garden.  It's not the bad kind of creepy-creep, but a good sort of feeling.  The winter squash is establishing it's presence, and all of the late summer veggies are in full effect.

Australian Butter Squash

 Sweet Dakota Rose

 Sugar Baby

 This morning's harvest

 The Wisconsin Lakes are turning red!

We've had plenty of eggplants to eat and share this summer, and they're still coming in fast. 

Pintung Long

The melon patch is full of hidden fruits.

We harvested the first two plantings of corn last weekend.  Now the Queen's Island Blue squash has room to stretch. 

It's been a challenge to keep up with the harvest, but I ain't complainin'.  We eat good.

1 comment:

  1. wow, everything looks great. and yay for your victories!=)

    ReplyDelete