WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Sunday, July 3, 2011

I've Taken Holiday

Ben has a four-day weekend, and it's been great.  He works so hard all week outside the home and around the farm, and he really needed the break.  He's so sweet that he decided to do all my normal chores today, so I have the day completely off.  Thanks to Ben, I won't be doing any of the following today:

Get out of bed early to let the dogs out
Walk the dogs
Feed the dogs
Let the chickens out
Put the chickens up
Wash the dishes
Water the garden
Water the greenhouse
Water the high tunnel
Stuff I just don't feel like doing!!!

So, I will also not be weeding, cleaning, or weed-eating.  Ben is even mowing the blueberry orchard at this very moment.  Woo hooo!

It's actually harder for me not to do all of these things than it is for me to just try to get everything done.  If I don't get things done as needed, they just pile up and make the next day even harder.  My daily personal life is completely enmeshed with all the farm work.  I love it all; from turning the compost pile to setting up a makeshift chicken infirmary (I'll update you on that within the next few posts).  But, when one's work bleeds into one's vacation, life can feel exhausting.

Today has been great so far.  I had told Ben last night that I'd make breakfast and dinner today.  I was really excited to use some eggs that we got from a friend at farmers' market last Friday, and I'm going to make fish tacos tonight.  He didn't want me to do anything at all, but he has allowed me to cook ( not the biggest surprise).

I've been enjoying the garden and haven't allowed myself to pull one weed at all:

 I'm super happy about the gorgeous pie pumpkins...

 ...and the butternut squash.

My one, prized, eggplant so far. 

Hot Portugal pepper, the hottest pepper I've ever tasted.


The day-neutral Seascape strawberries are fruiting now.

Sugar Pearl sweet corn

True Gold sweet corn

Some views of my little paradise:








 We decided to have "Mexican" food for our Fourth of July celebration (we're doing it today so that Ben can recover tomorrow before going back to work).  I'm going to grill some mahi mahi that I marinated with lime, cilantro, and hot peppers yesterday for our fish tacos.  We'll be washing it down with Negra Modelo because there was a great sale on it at the grocery store.  Maybe I'll even sit in my hammock chair and read a little after dinner...

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is beautiful. Lots of room to spread out. We're still too tight so expansion plans are in the works for this fall. I'm so jealous of your pupmkins! Lost my first batch to SVB so replanted and they're just now coming up.

    ReplyDelete