WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Thursday, May 5, 2011

BIG News and other Happenings

BIG News:
Fat Bear Farm was recently awarded a USDA grant to build a 30'X72' high tunnel!  Construction will begin within a month or two, and there will be some demolition beforehand.  We're taking out a treeline that's full of pines and scrub.  The treeline stands between our yard and the blueberries.  We've wanted it gone since we moved in.  We will be replacing the pines with fruit trees (mostly peaches), and we'll grow strawberries inside and outside of the high tunnel for market.  I'm thrilled to bits about this project.  It will mean a lot more work this summer, but I know it will be worth it. 

The dozer has arrived!

 These trees will soon be replaced with a beautiful orchard.

We plan on planting the strawberry crowns this fall so that we'll have a full crop next year.  That means that we'll have to take soil samples, amend the soil, plant, and mulch a huge area.   I can't wait!

Round About News
The chickens had their first day out in their yard.  Ben's lovely father helped us finish it up, and the ladies are lovin' it.  It took them a few hours to venture out of the house after I opened their little door.  They like chilling out in the shade under the house.  The girls made happy chicken noises and ate bugs all day.

We thought the ladies would like to roost on the old ladder when they get a little bigger.

Cuties under the coop.

The kitchen garden is almost completely planted (for now).  I've left some space for later tomatoes and corn (see sidebar for full listing), and I'll soon replace the salad and wilting greens with peppers.  When the peas are over with, I'll put in cukes.

2 comments:

  1. I like the ladder in the chook run. I have an old one that we're not using. Maybe I'll do the same with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken run is lovely!

    I'm jealous that your weather is warm enough that your kitchen garden is almost already in... :) We still have SNOW...

    Congratulations on the grant. I can't wait to see pictures of the orchard.

    ReplyDelete