WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Black Snake Down: R.I.P. Garden Helper

There are a lot of snakes around the farm.  This is a good thing; they keep the rodent and insect populations in check, and I admire their beauty.  Most of the snakes around here are black snakes, worm snakes and garter snakes, but I know there are also some copperheads lurking about.
I had the misfortune of stumbling upon a dead black snake today, and I have her blood on my hands (not literally).  She got tangled up in the wildlife netting that keeps our kitchen garden safe from deer and rabbits.  This must have happened sometime between last night and this morning.

The flies are doing their job.

 This snake is between 3 and 4 feet long!

We used wildlife netting for fencing this year because it is cheap.  We erected the kitchen garden fence while we were in the midst of building the Hen House, and we had spent A LOT of money on building materials.  We weren't sure that the wildlife netting fence would be effective in keeping our veggies safe, but it has worked impeccably well.  This was our first tragedy.


We had planned all along to buy more substantial fencing for the kitchen garden no later than next spring.  This purchase has now become even more urgent.  I don't want to see any more critters fall victim to this lethal structure.


On the bright side, that snake didn't get the chance to hurt the chickens or dogs.  I know she's not poisonous, but I wouldn't want Thurgood or Miles to get a nasty bite while "playing" with the rubbery rope toy.
I'm too much of a wuss when it comes to dead animals, so I'll have Ben move her when he gets home from work.  "How was your day, Honey?  Wanna move a dead snake for me?"

Now for something more positive...

The fernleaf fiddleneck has bloomed!   This is one of my favorite flowers.  It's extremely aromatic.

Roses are always lovely.  Miles loves to stop and smell them (literally).

 The not-so-simple nasturtium

5 comments:

  1. I cant figure out how that snake died? Seems to me that it could have gotten its head out if it tried? I love the snakes too, but I had a snake eat ALL of my chicks one year, and in one night. So sometimes things just work out the way they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a lot better knowing that she could have been a real threat to our chickens. I'm sorry that you lost yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to see a black snake die. They're far too valuable a snake keeping rodent numbers down. I'm so envious of your blueberries! We have had little luck with our efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about a snake, any snake, that just gives me the willies!! At least one dog gets a copperhead bite each spring and poor Potter, one of the Jacks, got it this spring. We found a black snake in the barn and a copperhead my pasture guy ran over. I was moving composted leaves to the garden today and was really cautious about what I was doing, keeping my cell phone close by for a 911 call in case I was bitten by anything. Enjoy your holiday. I love the pictures of the blueberries ~ Debi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be freaking out if there were so many snakes around me, Still a shame about the snake, but like you said she may have been a threat to your chickens.

    ReplyDelete