WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brand New Pair of Shoes!

And not a moment too soon.  I ordered a pair of green Birki's last week, and they arrived yesterday. 
Yes, I spent almost fifty dollars on rubber shoes, something I never thought I'd do.  But, I have no regrets.  Last summer, I destroyed a great pair of trail shoes after repeatedly weeding the asparagus field and harvesting blueberries.  Those "waterproof" shoes couldn't stand up to the intense morning dew.  The glue melted off of them in a matter of several weeks.  
It's supposed to rain today (50% chance) for the first time in ages.  We had a good amount of snow this winter, but all that moisture is long gone.  We need a good soaking.  It's also supposed to rain tomorrow (70% chance).  So, my Birki's I will wear.  I think they will hold up to the rigors of farm life.  They're just seamless hunks of rubber, I guess.  The best part is that I can slip them off, hose off my feet and slip them right back on without worrying about the moisture.


Since rain is in the forecast, I'll be baking today.  I usually try to get all my baking out of the way when there is no possibility of getting anything done out of doors.  However, when I plan on using the mud oven, I bake on nice days. 

The boys are almost out of treats, so I'll be baking some today.  Here's the recipe:

 Peanut Butter Morsels
1 1/2 cup oat flour (grind old-fashioned oats in a blender)
1 cup brown rice flour (grind brown rice in a blender)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tb. honey
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Mix all ingredients
Moisten your hands and form 1" balls of dough
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and press the center down with your thumb
Bake for 20 mins. or until golden brown (I like to flip them over after the first 10 mins.)
Allow to cool completely and place in a glass jar with lid tightly sealed
These treats stay fresh and crunchy for at least a week if stored properly.  Miles Giles and Thurgood Morsel go crazy for them.  The recipe is easily modified.  I sometimes omit the vanilla and cinnamon and replace the water with some sort of meaty broth.  I also add a little mashed banana or sweet potato sometimes.  Have fun with it!  The dogs will be overjoyed that you baked for them no matter how they turn out.

Update
It's raining!  I just brought the boys inside, and they're having a good nap.  It looks like it will be a very peaceful day.
Miles Giles on the couch (check out that pouty lip)

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I have two dogs also, but one barely moves(very old) and the other is a German shedder and my house is always trashed with fur and mud. How on this green earth do you keep your house under control with your two dogs? While they are absolutely adorable, I am sure they bring half of the outside in with them. You must share. I am thinking of just getting mud colored carpets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Someone who gets it! I was just thinking yesterday that it would make more sense to just have an actual dirt floor. The boys ripped up about a quarter of the grass in their yard, so we put down straw and it helped with some of the mud. They also have a sand cave to hang out in (a weird sort of outdoor room under the carport), and they bring in a whole beach worth of sand daily. Carpet wouldn't make it an hour around here. Don't get me started on the fur!

    ReplyDelete