WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Saturday, April 6, 2013

It Is Risen!

We've been impatiently waiting for the first asparagus spears to emerge, and it finally happened today!  Due to unusually cold temperatures (it SNOWED a few days ago), most things on the farm are coming up two weeks later than last year.  Punxsutawney Phil needs to find a new job, but let's not dwell on it.  


At long last, I can shake off all the winter doldrums because today has had "spring" written all over it.  The daffodils (that's my Missouri-speak for jonquils), forsythia, and phlox are finally sharing their colors with us.


I just about had a fit when I saw this butterfly.  Does this mean it's time to put out the hummingbird feeders?  


I guess the blueberries got the memo that spring was going to be late this year.  The buds didn't open early enough to suffer any frost damage (but my fingers will remain crossed for at least another week), and the bushes are looking incredibly happy.


The first farmers market of the season is in exactly one week!  We'll be at the Cobblestone Farmers Market in Winston-Salem this year.  Details to follow.

2 comments:

  1. No way! A butterfly? I haven't even seen any bees around as there's nothing to entice them yet. My blueberries are still tight but we expect things will pop with the warm week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also patiently waiting for my purple asparagus to pop up. This will be my first year that I can actually harvest the spears, so I am very excited to see them come up.

    ReplyDelete