WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Greenhouse Show and Tell

The greenhouse is buzzing with activity.  We started our peppers, tomatoes, herbs, annuals, and greens a few months ago, but we're not going to talk about that stuff right now.  Instead, let's take a look at Jessica's Pet Projects.

Washington orange, Meyer lemon, Mexican lime (left to right)

We bought these citrus trees about two and a half years ago at Lowe's Home Improvement for about five bucks each.  They were pencil-sized when we brought them home.  The orange tree is taller than me now!

Meyer lemon

The lemon tree is fruiting right now.  All of last year's fruits dropped before reaching this size, but I remain hopeful.

Blueberry whips

I took about 400 hardwood blueberry cuttings last winter, and they are rooting in propagation boxes right now.  I covered the tips with grafting wax this time around.  I'm hoping that it will prevent them from losing moisture from the top.  I had some sticky fingers that day.

Prizetaker leeks

The leeks are growing quickly, and I'm already dreaming up recipes for them.  Soups, omelets, salads, quiches....

Ben will soon be planting ginger in the greenhouse.  It did extremely well last year, so my expectations are high.

No comments:

Post a Comment