WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Friday, August 12, 2011

On the Rebound

There is hope.  Even after the Great Tomato Debacle.  
We got hit by late blight.  But, because we had planted our tomatoes so early, we had time to plant another crop.  I started about a dozen Black Plum Paste tomatoes in the greenhouse and transplanted them into the garden several weeks ago along with three volunteer compost pile tomatoes. 

Mystery Compost Pile Tomatoes

The very first fruits had an ugly case of blossom end rot, but I think I've nipped that in the bud.  I applied some epsom salts to treat the end rot, and I've been spraying them with copper to protect them from the blight.  So far, so good.  No blight and no more rot.

Black Plum Paste Tomatoes

Fortunately, approximately 90% of all the green tomatoes I salvaged from the blighted plants have matured beautifully.  I ate the last one yesterday.  However, the blight really messed up my canning plans.  I was going to make salsa and a few other things that require both tomatoes and peppers.  Well, when my peppers began to ripen in large numbers, I had no tomatoes to accompany them.  Major bummer.  Whatever, I guess I'm over it.

Just for the hell of it, I planted some super-late tomatoes.  I started some Wisconsin 55 and Red Brandywines a few weeks ago and transplanted them this week.  I don't know that they'll have enough time to mature, but there's no harm in trying.

I just realized that I've been growing tomatoes for the last six months already.  I think I started the first plants in February, and it's been nonstop since.  Can we take it into October?  Wild.  I didn't realize that I'd be playing tomato nursemaid nine months out of the year.

1 comment: