WHERE THE FARMHOUSE AND THE DOGHOUSE ARE ONE AND THE SAME

Friday, May 4, 2012

It's Time to Get Those Tomatoes To My Tummy!

It's finally tomato time again.  I tucked my first bundle of babies into the ground last week, and their little sisters are in the greenhouse, patiently awaiting their big day.  Here's a full list of the varieties we're growing this year:

Sandwich Slicers
Brandywine (heirloom)
Cherokee Purple (heirloom)
Dr. Wyche's Yellow

Cherry-Size
Egg Yolk
Brown Berry
Large Red Cherry
Beam's Yellow Pear

Good for Canning
Black Plum (heirloom)
Amish Paste (heirloom)
Speckled Roman

Brandywine ripening on the vine (photo: 2011)

How about a Speckled Roman to brighten your day? (photo: 2011)

Black Plum before they turn "black" (photo: 2011)

Black Plum are my new favorite.  I grew them for the first time last year, and I'm ever so glad I did.  I can't wait to roast up a batch with olive oil, salt and pepper- the perfect addition to any pasta dish.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.   I must also tell you that these guys aren't just good for sauces, they're pretty much all-purpose.  They have an incredibly robust flavor served up fresh.  When halved, this Russian heirloom is the perfect size to serve atop salad greens.

We'll have seedlings of the above varieties available at Farmer's Market throughout the season.  We will also be selling fresh cherry tomatoes by the pint.  

I look forward to talking peppers with you next week!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you'll have quite a harvest! Thanks for the info on all the great varieties!

    ReplyDelete